Skip to main content

A multiracial drummer in Vienna: Aleksandro Alcantara Mulaosmanovic

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 23.10.2022 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com. https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2022/10/23/viyanada-melez-bir-baterist-aleksandro-alcantara-mulaosmanovic/

Today, we're with drummer Aleksandro Alcantara Mulaosmanovic, an active local musician in Vienna.

How did your interest in music begin? How did the decision-making process for a career in music unfold?

My interest in music began at the age of 6 or 7. Around 15-16, I had some friends who gave me CDs of bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden to listen to. Motivated, I started playing the guitar and, at the age of 14, formed a simple music group. Meanwhile, I played the drums until I was 16. At that age, I realized that drums were my true instrument, and I focused on them. Later on, I studied Jazz, and currently, I mostly earn a living through music.

You graduated from the Vienna Prayner Conservatory Jazz Department. What was the major factor behind choosing drums as your instrument?

As I mentioned earlier, even though I started playing the drums at the age of 14, it wasn't until I was 16 that I realized playing the drums defined me, and I simply wanted to focus on drumming. I have a deep passion for rhythm; it's what makes me who I am.

When did you first step onto the stage, and how did you feel?

My first time on stage was at an open-air blues festival in 2006. There were about 10,000 spectators, and initially, it was both thrilling and intimidating. However, after the second song, I experienced one of the most beautiful moments of my life.

One of your parents is Mexican, the other is Bosnian-Herzegovinian. However, you studied and continue to work and live in Austria. How has this multicultural background influenced your music?

My roots and connection to different music genres and traditional styles have had a significant impact on my musical journey so far and continue to do so. Currently, I'm recording my own album, consisting of 10 songs. It's a blend of Jazz and Rock, with noticeable Latin and Balkan influences in every track.

What are the projects you've actively participated in so far? Currently, which groups and musicians are you collaborating with?

I'm involved with a blues rock band called Hangover Division, a country rock and rock 'n' roll group named Midnight Creek, and I'm working on my own music and a couple of surprises :) Additionally, I frequently play drums in the Vienna concerts of Mexican singer and songwriter Paco Acustico.

What is your most utopian professional dream? What are your future aspirations?

My goal is to keep playing without ever giving up—making music, sharing it with people, enjoying the music I create, and witnessing others derive pleasure from it. While we all dream of reaching great heights and fame at some point, the most important thing for me is that people appreciate what I do. Hopefully, in the long run, I'll reach a broader audience :)

Who are the drummers that influence, impress, and inspire you in your style?

I could talk about this for days, as I believe every globally renowned drummer has a message and a lesson to offer us. However, if I have to mention a few names: Dennis Chambers, Joey Jordison, and Roy Mayorga.

What genre do you enjoy playing the most?

I derive immense pleasure from playing Hardcore/Punk, Metal, and Funk.


What can you tell us about the general perspective on music in Europe and globally?

It's a topic that could be discussed for hours, but generally, I feel that true music hasn't been as appreciated in recent years. Electronic music and trends often take the forefront, and shows are designed with only about thirty percent focusing on the music itself. Of course, quality music is still being created, but unfortunately, it's not as popular as it was 20-30 years ago.

Are there other art forms that interest you besides music?

I'm interested in interior design and media design—both activities bring me a lot of joy. I'm also intrigued by robot technology, although I can't claim to be highly skilled in that area. 🙂

 If I were to ask about your happiest and most painful moments?

There are many moments in life that bring me happiness. Getting news from friends, meeting up with them, witnessing someone achieve their goals, or encountering individuals who find joy in life—all of these moments make me happy. However, I'd say the happiest moment I remember was when I got my dog five years ago. The most painful moment, on the other hand, was not being able to see my grandmother for years, then receiving news of her passing and being unable to attend her funeral.


Where can our readers reach you on social media?

You can reach me and explore my work on Instagram and Spotify. 
My official Instagram: @aleksandro_alcantara
You can also reach me through the Instagram pages of the groups I collaborate with:
@hangoverdivision
@midnightcreek
@elpacoacustico


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity-Followed Artist: Erdoğan Paksoy

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 29.07.2023 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2023/07/29/unlulerin-takibindeki-ressam-erdogan-paksoy/ Our guest today is a young artist who has achieved numerous successes at a tender age, making a name for himself through participation in various exhibitions and art competitions, earning accolades. Especially with his recent works, he has become a favorite among celebrities – the acclaimed artist, Erdoğan Paksoy. How did you discover your interest in drawing and painting? How did you decide to build your career in this field? My interest in painting has been a constant influence in my life since childhood, serving as a companion on my journey. Creating graffiti on walls and utility boxes with friends, adding drawings and cartoons to my school notebooks – these were the initial steps showcasing my passion for art. However, it never crossed my mind that art would beco

Renklerin İzinde - The exhibition on mythology is waiting for visitors at CKM until January 31st!

   Today, I attended the opening of the "In the Trail of Colors" (Renklerin İzinde) Culture and Art Community's exhibition on the theme of "Mythology," which is the final stop of their trilogy at Istanbul's Caddebostan Cultural Center. This collective group, consisting of people from various professions interested in painting, regularly comes together to create artwork based on a common theme. This time, they shaped their works within the framework of the mythology theme for the third part of the trilogy. The first two legs of the exhibition took place in Bursa and Ayvalık. Despite being a collective project, it pleased me as a colorful person to see almost everyone from diverse professional backgrounds choosing vibrant colors consistently. For those who love mythology and lively colors, I can say it's an exhibition that will leave you with positive feelings as a viewer. :) The exhibition can be visited at Caddebostan Cultural Center, 4th floor, Foyer ar

Ozan Çoban: A successful pianist, driven by the desire to spread the love of art and music, and dedicated to teaching as much as learning!

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 05.11.2022 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2022/11/05/sanat-ve-muzik-sevgisini-yaymanin-ogrendigince-ogretmenin-derdinde-basarili-bir-piyanist-ozan-coban/ Our guest today is Ozan Çoban, a pianist, composer, music director, and educator with numerous titles. He is also the founder of "Klasik Müzikli Söyleşiler"(Classical Music Talks), a culture and art project with a focus on education. You presented your first recital at the age of 7. How did you discover your interest in music, when did you start receiving education, and how were you able to give a recital at the age of 7? I encountered a piano for the first time during a family visit, and it sparked my curiosity. I started exploring the instrument, and my talent was discovered by Dr. Emel Ramadanoğlu and my first piano teacher, the pianist Esra Ramadanoğlu. At the age of five, I began regular lessons w