Skip to main content

Celebrity-Followed Artist: Erdoğan Paksoy

 *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 29.07.2023 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com. https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2023/07/29/unlulerin-takibindeki-ressam-erdogan-paksoy/

Our guest today is a young artist who has achieved numerous successes at a tender age, making a name for himself through participation in various exhibitions and art competitions, earning accolades. Especially with his recent works, he has become a favorite among celebrities – the acclaimed artist, Erdoğan Paksoy.

How did you discover your interest in drawing and painting? How did you decide to build your career in this field?

My interest in painting has been a constant influence in my life since childhood, serving as a companion on my journey. Creating graffiti on walls and utility boxes with friends, adding drawings and cartoons to my school notebooks – these were the initial steps showcasing my passion for art. However, it never crossed my mind that art would become the center of my life. The turning point that would define my life and lead me into the world of art began in 2013 when I failed to pass the university entrance exam. In the melancholy of not succeeding in the exam, while engaging in drawings, I started sharing my artwork on social media. At that time, pursuing an art degree wasn't even a consideration for me. However, the spark that would change my life came from my primary school art teacher, Jale Güler. Her encouragement and words, "Erdoğan, I must prepare you for the art department. I can see the gems that will emerge from the tip of your pencil," entirely redirected my life, opening the doors to a passionate world of art. Following a six-month art training, I successfully passed the talent exam and gained admission to the Selçuk University Fine Arts Department. Throughout this process, I received tremendous support from my professors, friends, and, above all, my family. Filled with the thought, "Even if I have to go hungry, I will become an artist!" I embarked on this enchanting journey. Art had now transformed from a mere interest into a lifestyle and passion. Currently, I continue to build my career in this field by following my passion.


In today's society, children aspiring to pursue education in fields like art and music at the higher level can become a nightmare for their parents due to concerns about potential livelihood challenges. How was your family's attitude towards you in this field?

Unfortunately, in our country, there is often a bias against departments such as fine arts and music, but I have always believed in the idea that "A person will undoubtedly succeed in the profession they love." Even if the results of perseverance and hard work are not appreciated by people, when the universe begins to appreciate, success will inevitably come on its own. In this context, my family has always supported and encouraged me. Thanks to their encouragement and belief, I was able to progress strongly.

From your resume on your website, I gathered that you have a quite assertive personality. Sending your works to exhibitions and winning your first awards while still an undergraduate student reflects this. Are you as bold in your personal life as you are in your artworks?

Life is an adventure that we experience only once, and it's too short not to feel excited. The greatest joy for me is to try everything and gain experiences from those endeavors. Success is a reward that can be achieved with courage and passion. Therefore, I don't hesitate to take bold steps in my life. Being a bit crazy in these steps can also be quite enjoyable. 🙂

For your Master's thesis in the main art branch of painting, you chose to present a thesis titled "Visual Analyses in the Context of Environmental Pollution." Are you genuinely concerned about issues like ecological imbalance and environmental pollution? Do you carry the protest stance in your art related to these issues in your individual life? Have you collaborated with relevant institutions on such matters, or would you consider it if such an offer came?

Nature is a host that welcomes us with all its beauties. It is the most reliable companion we can seek refuge in. As humanity, we live in the home of nature, yet every time we dirty its home! My love for the beauty of nature allows me to deeply feel its pains. The disruption of ecological balance, environmental pollution, and similar issues genuinely concern me, sparking a constant rebellion within me, full of anguish. I am aware of our responsibility to nature and the environment as part of this world, and I strive to act with this consciousness. My art carries a protest stance, and I take it wherever I can make my voice heard. In my paintings, I reflect the nature harmed by human impact and the dystopian universe resulting from this harmful effect. I express the burning fire within me on this matter through my paintings, aiming to provoke people to think and, through thinking, to take action. I haven't collaborated with an institution on this matter yet, but I would wholeheartedly consider and feel honored to contribute if such an offer came. The power of art can trigger change and raise awareness among people. If there are brave-spirited institutions willing to move forward on this path, I would eagerly collaborate. It's crucial to remember that even small steps can lead to significant changes.

How did you come across the concept of dystopia? Why do you specifically prefer to create works in this field?

My introduction to the concept of dystopia began during my undergraduate years as I sought to discover my own artistic style. I wanted to better understand myself and see the reflections of my inner world in my paintings. Throughout this process, I frequently met with my advisor, the esteemed Prof. Dr. Ahmet Dalkıran, sharing ideas and progressing under his guidance. Witnessing humanity's negative impact on nature alongside the beauty of the world deeply concerned me. The Industrial Revolution increased humanity's adverse effects on nature, distancing us from utopian thoughts with dystopian realities such as environmental pollution and the consequences of nuclear bomb tests. These concerns and anxieties led me to explore the theme of dystopia and choose to produce works in this field. By merging dystopian elements with the real world in my paintings, I aim to question and awaken humanity's future. Creating awareness, emphasizing the importance of preserving our world, and increasing environmental consciousness are my primary goals through my art. Dystopian themes can shape and transform people's thoughts about the future, which is why I choose to focus on dystopia in my art to make viewers reflect and consider the importance of protecting our planet.

When painting, what inspires you or puts you in a certain mood?

My process of creating art can vary moment by moment. I'm a bit crazy... 🙂 Societal issues, injustices, and environmental pollution deeply sadden and anger me. I try to convey these issues with a protest attitude in my paintings. Sometimes, a natural disaster, the destruction of nature for profit, or even the smallest piece of litter on the ground can drive me to paint. Among the sources that inspire me are, of course, other artists. By studying their works, I discover different techniques and ideas, learning new things from them to enhance my own art. In the end, when painting, I not only reflect my inner world but also try to narrate the world around me through my paintings. Everything that inspires me puts me in a creative mood and makes me feel free when painting.

Who are the local and foreign painters and illustrators you admire and draw inspiration from?

I find inspiration in various artists, and there are quite a few I admire. To name a few: Rembrandt, Ivan Shishkin, Petrus Van Schendel. Additionally, artists I mentioned in my thesis and interviewed, such as Tomas Sanchez, Martin Wittfooth, Scott Greene, Constance Mallinson, Karen Hackenberg, and Michael Kerbow. Each of them contributes to my appreciation for diverse artistic expressions.


Was the project where you portrayed film stars and artists as babies, which gained attention in Turkey, a result of personal curiosity? What was your inspiration for this?

I have a penchant for trying new things and appreciate both success and failure in my experiments. When artificial intelligence was just starting to gain attention in our country, I was among those curious about it. I was exploring the works of an artist named "BenMornin." Through my experiments, I achieved incredible results. Suddenly, the question popped into my mind: "How would the childhood versions of Yeşilçam characters and their actors look?" I conducted experiments on this idea, put considerable effort into it, and the outcomes were fantastic and quite enjoyable. When I shared the results, they received significant acclaim on social media, creating quite a buzz.

Despite being a relatively young artist, you've garnered significant attention, especially from celebrities. What are your thoughts on celebrities' interest in your work? In your opinion, what sets you apart from your peers and brings you into the spotlight in this regard?

The protest attitudes in my paintings, my experiments with artificial intelligence, and the depictions of the harsh consequences of humanity's merciless side in a dystopian world have received admiration from many celebrities. It all started with the esteemed Hande Doğandemir adding my large-scale painting titled "Dünyada su var mı?" (Is there water in the world?) to her collection, bringing hope and excitement for me. As I continued to create, I managed to capture the attention of valuable figures like Cem Yılmaz, Gökhan Türkmen, Sunay Akın, Oğuzhan Uğur, Koray Avcı, Gonca Vuslateri, Sarp Palaur (Şanışer), and many other esteemed celebrities. I confront realities, not clichés, expressing them through my art. With every brushstroke, I scream against injustices, environmental pollution, and the wrongs of humanity. Those who are aware and can see and feel find resonance in their world through my works. It's like sharing a collective outcry in the brushstrokes. And I believe what sets me apart from other colleagues is the fact that I'm already painting the dystopian world we often overlook in the future. 🙂

How do you, as an artist, evaluate the fact that contemporary art receives more criticism compared to modern and classical art, and what are your thoughts on the digitization process in art?

The heightened criticism of contemporary art compared to modern and classical art is actually an indicator of art's continuous evolution. Art has always been open to change and innovation, and contemporary art is a reflection of this ongoing transformation. Critique and reaction contribute to the vitality and progression of art. Contemporary art may employ a different language than traditional art and challenge familiar patterns, which can make it incomprehensible and subject to criticism by some. However, at the core of art lies expression and freedom. Contemporary artists use this freedom to offer different aesthetic and intellectual experiences. Evaluating the digitization process in art, it has undoubtedly added a new dimension, triggering criticism as well. Yet, considering the intrinsic nature of art, it should be remembered that it undergoes transformation and questioning in every era. Criticizing digital art and contemporary art is, in essence, an indication of the vibrancy of the art world. As a part of contemporary art, I appreciate art's constant transformation, freedom, and diversity. In creating my art, I strive to be open to criticism while producing something unique that reflects the spirit of the age and utilizes technological possibilities.

In the upcoming season and in 2024, where can we expect to see your works, and do you have any thoughts about expanding to Europe following the success you've achieved in Turkey recently?

Making plans is great, but sometimes savoring the moment is important too. As an artist, I appreciate a spontaneous and surprising life. Not only opening up to Europe but to the whole world! Psst, let me share a secret, beautiful things are on the way! 🙂

What could be your most utopian dream in professional terms?

Painting while enjoying the view of Earth from the moon.

Are there other art forms that you are interested in or follow besides painting?

Certainly! Music and photography. In fact, when I was 15-16 years old, I used to write and perform rap songs and even took the stage. Currently, I play the electric guitar and immortalize moments through photography.

Where can our readers follow you on social media?

To see my paintings and moments: www.instagram.com/erdoganpaksoy

To read my thoughts and a bit of my rebellious side: www.twitter.com/erdoganpaksoy


Erdoğan Paksoy's artwork to be exhibited at #NFTNYC!


Since 2018, NFTNYC has been a prominent event in the United States, bringing together leading figures, developers, and artists in the digital art and NFT (non-fungible token) realm. This year, Turkish painter Erdoğan Paksoy is honored to be one of the featured artists at this prestigious gathering, where collaborative works and values in the digital art space are celebrated.

The upcoming 2024 event is anticipated to be larger and more impactful compared to previous years, following a substantial increase in application rates. Among the 4300 artists who applied, Erdoğan Paksoy secured his spot among the selected artists, surpassing over four thousand applicants with his work titled "Geleceği Fark Edip Atılan Çığlık" ("Noticing the Future and the Shouted Scream"). Engaged with NFT since 2021, the artist expressed his joy, stating, "This is a great honor for me." Regarding his featured piece at the event, he mentioned, "My artwork contains traces of both traditional and digital art. I reinterpreted the oil painting on canvas by digitally intervening. With this piece created to raise awareness about environmental issues, I present viewers with a dystopian universe. The realities of our contemporary world, escalating environmental problems, and nature pollution await expression through the power of art. In this context, with my dystopian work titled 'Geleceği Fark Edip Atılan Çığlık,' I aim to draw attention to these issues and provoke contemplation among viewers."

The artwork "Geleceği Fark Edip Atılan Çığlık" ("Noticing the Future and the Shouted Scream") by the renowned artist Erdoğan Paksoy will be showcased at #NFTNYC2024 in New York. The #NFTNYC2024 event, taking place at the Artist Village Gallery in North Javits, Hudson Yards / New York from April 3 to 5, 2024, offers art enthusiasts the opportunity to explore the evolution of digital art and engage with unique pieces.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renklerin İzinde - The exhibition on mythology is waiting for visitors at CKM until January 31st!

   Today, I attended the opening of the "In the Trail of Colors" (Renklerin İzinde) Culture and Art Community's exhibition on the theme of "Mythology," which is the final stop of their trilogy at Istanbul's Caddebostan Cultural Center. This collective group, consisting of people from various professions interested in painting, regularly comes together to create artwork based on a common theme. This time, they shaped their works within the framework of the mythology theme for the third part of the trilogy. The first two legs of the exhibition took place in Bursa and Ayvalık. Despite being a collective project, it pleased me as a colorful person to see almost everyone from diverse professional backgrounds choosing vibrant colors consistently. For those who love mythology and lively colors, I can say it's an exhibition that will leave you with positive feelings as a viewer. :) The exhibition can be visited at Caddebostan Cultural Center, 4th floor, Foyer ar

Ozan Çoban: A successful pianist, driven by the desire to spread the love of art and music, and dedicated to teaching as much as learning!

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 05.11.2022 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2022/11/05/sanat-ve-muzik-sevgisini-yaymanin-ogrendigince-ogretmenin-derdinde-basarili-bir-piyanist-ozan-coban/ Our guest today is Ozan Çoban, a pianist, composer, music director, and educator with numerous titles. He is also the founder of "Klasik Müzikli Söyleşiler"(Classical Music Talks), a culture and art project with a focus on education. You presented your first recital at the age of 7. How did you discover your interest in music, when did you start receiving education, and how were you able to give a recital at the age of 7? I encountered a piano for the first time during a family visit, and it sparked my curiosity. I started exploring the instrument, and my talent was discovered by Dr. Emel Ramadanoğlu and my first piano teacher, the pianist Esra Ramadanoğlu. At the age of five, I began regular lessons w