Skip to main content

Idil Cagatay: "I dislike constraints."

 *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 23.04.2023 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com. https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2023/04/23/idil-cagatay-kisitlanmayi-sevmiyorum/

Today's guest is once again a highly successful and vibrant woman in her field. Meet İdil Çağatay, a vocalist, instrumentalist, lyricist, composer, arranger, and voice coach.

How did your interest in music begin? Could you share a bit about the stage of self-discovery?

   - My interest in music started at a very young age. Every sound I heard and every instrument I saw fascinated me. If it was within my reach, I would always pick it up and try to make sounds, composing little pieces on my own. Over time, this passion strengthened, and by middle school, I decided to carve my path in this direction. I was always the student preferred by teachers in school choirs, which kept me constantly involved in music. Then, in my high school years, I decided to enter the conservatory. Singing, in particular, held a special place for me. My interest in classical music led me towards opera, and my passion for instruments led me to the harp department. I pursued both simultaneously, and they remain significant passions in my life to this day.

You graduated from Istanbul University State Conservatory Opera Department, dedicating approximately 8 years to opera both during your student years and after graduation. Could you tell us about the turning point when you shifted from opera to Rock and Metal genres? What factors led to this change, and how did you decide to form the "Kırmızı" (Red) band?

   - Opera can be considered the highest point a human voice can technically reach, and it still captivates me immensely. I am currently actively continuing my classical singing practice and preparing a classical piece with a singing teacher friend from the conservatory. We plan to give concerts in the near future. So, I haven't completely severed ties, but rock/metal genres are the areas where I freely express my soul. It's a more creative space where I feel truly myself. I love the raw sounds and dirty vocals. They feel more real and closer to life. After all, life is a bit distorted. In opera, you can exist as a performer, but I sought an unlimited space where I could find my own voice and convey my thoughts, always looking for complete freedom of expression without being constrained by rules. I don't like constraints; I want to think entirely freely and express that without getting caught up in rules. These sounds become a channel where I can easily release my inner energy. I have a somewhat underground side, and naturally, it's challenging to reflect that in high art. When I realized this in 2004, I decided to express myself in another field with a different sound. This is where Kırmızı's journey began. The idea of forming a band excited me. Sharing something together, creating together, capturing that camaraderie and energy on stage, combining our ideas—all of it was appealing. Then, we met Aslı Polat, the drummer of the band, in a studio. When we saw that we wanted the same things, we laid the foundations of the band together. From 2005 to 2013, we actively performed on stages in many cities, primarily Istanbul, and even internationally.

 With the "Kırmızı" band, you've achieved numerous successes, notably performing as the opening act for Ozzy Osbourne, being invited to represent our country at Festival Mundial in the Netherlands, and winning second place at the 2012 Eurock Marathon. Based on your experiences, what differences have you observed between the rock/metal audience in Turkey and the rock/metal audience in Europe?

   - Firstly, we don't have a well-established rock culture. I don't really expect it either. Since birth, our ears have been predominantly filled with monophonic and modal music. It's entirely related to how people express themselves and find themselves in that land. Genres like rock and metal, with their rebellious and assertive themes, addressing contemporary issues, can be exhausting to ears not accustomed to protest and unfamiliar musical styles. Therefore, we struggle to feel the same excitement as communities that have grown up within this culture. I would describe our audience as more reserved. They generally prefer to hear familiar things and unfortunately, are not very open to new things. They still enjoy hearing covers of the same songs. I observed this during the many years we played as a cover band. In Europe, the situation is very different. They truly live in the moment and watch with interest and curiosity. They are also very respectful. From what I have observed, there isn't as much of a cover culture. They are more interested in the original songs of the bands they go to see, which naturally pushes them towards more creativity.

Considering the consecutive international successes, have you ever thought about creating an English album with the band and venturing into the European market?

   - Yes, I have considered it, and I still am. I currently have an album project in the works, for which I've already planted the seeds, and a single with lyrics I've written that is awaiting composition. However, at the moment, I am primarily focused on a Turkish album that I am working on. Once that is completed, I plan to dive into the English album project.

 In 2011, you founded your production and organization company, RedRec Music Production. As a lyricist, composer, and arranger, with whom or on which projects have you collaborated?

   - I established that company to freely release our own works without being tied to anyone. In the early days, we had discussions with some major companies for Kırmızı's projects, but after realizing that our vision did not align, and commercial concerns would constrain and try to shape us, we decided to take a different path. We even worked with some individuals we thought we were closer to and a record company for the first single, but again, we couldn't find what we were looking for. That's when we decided to establish RedRec and walk our own path. It was never for commercial purposes. It was purely a record company established to be free. We released albums only for two friends outside ourselves. Besides that, I generally do everything for myself. I prefer to write my own lyrics and compose, arranging them. However, in the production stage, my musician friends contribute with their ideas and instruments.

As a strong woman who does almost everything from lyrics to composition, and from composition to arranging, have you faced the challenges of being an independent woman in the industry? How did you cope with these challenges?

   - Being independent is not easy. If you don't have a strong production company behind you, making your voice heard becomes a bit more challenging. You end up doing things that a team should do. This requires serious effort and time, and although it can be tiring, it's a choice. You have to think about more things and live with multiple open tabs in your mind. The downside is that, while bringing to life what you've envisioned in your mind, you need more time since you're dealing with many things simultaneously. I try to overcome this by sleeping less and working more.

 
In 2013, you wrote a song titled "Cumhuriyet 90 yaşında" (Republic is 90 years old) to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Republic. Will you write a song for the 100th anniversary of the Republic this year?

   - Actually, "Cumhuriyet 90 yaşında" came to my mind spontaneously when I wrote it. I hope I'll have the motivation and strength for that. Even you asking about it now serves as motivation for me. Who knows, maybe I'll start working on it tomorrow. 🙂

Since 2015, you've been continuing your music career as a solo artist. Your album "Ateşler İçinde," released in 2018, received considerable acclaim. Do you have a specific date for your new album?

   - I constantly set deadlines for myself, but other songs come into play. Suddenly, I find myself dealing with them. Since it will be a concept album addressing contemporary social issues, I'm striving for it to be as careful and meaningful as possible. Sometimes, I spend hours working on a single word or jot down a few notes that came to mind. That's why it takes a bit of time. I intend to release it by the early months of 2024. That's the date in my mind for now, but I might concentrate and finish it earlier unexpectedly.

You're also a vocal coach, and you've been doing this for many years. Whom do you work with, or whom do you prefer to work with? Do you currently have students known in the music industry?

   - Actually, my range of students is quite broad, generally consisting of aspiring vocalists. However, I also have students who want to sing as a hobby, those with vocal issues, or those wanting to enhance their voice for better self-expression. When selecting my students, mutual compatibility is crucial for me. It involves mutual effort and dedication. I prefer to work with individuals I am sure can gain something from me, and I can contribute something to them. I have a somewhat boutique working style. I try to support not only their voices but also their stage presence, lyrics, and songwriting as much as possible. I aim to develop a unique language for each person, understand them, decipher their psychology, and design a formula accordingly. After all, the voice is a very intimate matter, directly linked to psychology. I've had many students so far. Some have produced and released their own songs. One you might know is Uğurhan Özay, who is doing great work with his band Dolu Kadehi Ters Tut. Apart from that, there are others preparing to take flight on their own. In time, they will make their voices heard.

 What are the goals you've set for yourself moving forward?

   - Currently, I'm working on a new single. Besides that, I have a project for both a Turkish and an English album. I'm also working on an English single. My initial goal is to bring them to life. Additionally, I continue to perform in concerts. My goal is always to create more.

What could be your most utopian musical dream?
   - Writing a musical. 🙂 I've actually planted the seeds for that, but it's a project that needs to spread over time and mature. The idea of seeing it staged excites me a lot. Since I come from the performing arts, a libretto written on a subject, music reflecting its spirit, set, and costume design all have a profound impact on me.


Do you have interests in other art forms besides music?

   - Generally, I have an interest in visual arts, particularly sculpture excites me. If there wasn't music in my life, I would probably have become a sculptor. Perhaps, at some point, I'll create a time frame for it and engage in it as a hobby.

How can our readers connect with you on social media?

   - They can reach out on Instagram, and also through Facebook or Twitter. I usually don't leave messages unanswered 🙂

   - Website: (http://www.idilcagatay.com)
   - Twitter: (http://twitter.com/cagatayidil)
   - Instagram: @idilcagatay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity-Followed Artist: Erdoğan Paksoy

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 29.07.2023 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2023/07/29/unlulerin-takibindeki-ressam-erdogan-paksoy/ Our guest today is a young artist who has achieved numerous successes at a tender age, making a name for himself through participation in various exhibitions and art competitions, earning accolades. Especially with his recent works, he has become a favorite among celebrities – the acclaimed artist, Erdoğan Paksoy. How did you discover your interest in drawing and painting? How did you decide to build your career in this field? My interest in painting has been a constant influence in my life since childhood, serving as a companion on my journey. Creating graffiti on walls and utility boxes with friends, adding drawings and cartoons to my school notebooks – these were the initial steps showcasing my passion for art. However, it never crossed my mind that art would beco

Renklerin İzinde - The exhibition on mythology is waiting for visitors at CKM until January 31st!

   Today, I attended the opening of the "In the Trail of Colors" (Renklerin İzinde) Culture and Art Community's exhibition on the theme of "Mythology," which is the final stop of their trilogy at Istanbul's Caddebostan Cultural Center. This collective group, consisting of people from various professions interested in painting, regularly comes together to create artwork based on a common theme. This time, they shaped their works within the framework of the mythology theme for the third part of the trilogy. The first two legs of the exhibition took place in Bursa and Ayvalık. Despite being a collective project, it pleased me as a colorful person to see almost everyone from diverse professional backgrounds choosing vibrant colors consistently. For those who love mythology and lively colors, I can say it's an exhibition that will leave you with positive feelings as a viewer. :) The exhibition can be visited at Caddebostan Cultural Center, 4th floor, Foyer ar

Ozan Çoban: A successful pianist, driven by the desire to spread the love of art and music, and dedicated to teaching as much as learning!

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 05.11.2022 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2022/11/05/sanat-ve-muzik-sevgisini-yaymanin-ogrendigince-ogretmenin-derdinde-basarili-bir-piyanist-ozan-coban/ Our guest today is Ozan Çoban, a pianist, composer, music director, and educator with numerous titles. He is also the founder of "Klasik Müzikli Söyleşiler"(Classical Music Talks), a culture and art project with a focus on education. You presented your first recital at the age of 7. How did you discover your interest in music, when did you start receiving education, and how were you able to give a recital at the age of 7? I encountered a piano for the first time during a family visit, and it sparked my curiosity. I started exploring the instrument, and my talent was discovered by Dr. Emel Ramadanoğlu and my first piano teacher, the pianist Esra Ramadanoğlu. At the age of five, I began regular lessons w