Skip to main content

Tuğçe Tanış: "If something is weighing on my mind, I strive to do the best I can to overcome it!"

 *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 13.11.2022 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com. https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2022/11/13/tugce-tanis-kafama-bir-seyi-cok-takiyorsam-onu-alabilmek-icin-elimden-gelenin-en-iyisini-yapmaya-calisirim/


Today, we are with actress, acting coach, and breath coach Tuğçe Tanış.

At the age of 13, you began taking acting lessons. How did you decide to become an actress?

Since my childhood, I always felt a connection with the stage. I wanted to read poetry, dance, be somehow present there, and after seeing a theater group at our middle school, I said, "I definitely want to do this!" The play they performed had such an impact on me that I said, "I absolutely want to do this." After that, the process began for me.

You graduated from Mimar Sinan University State Conservatory Theater Department. To be admitted to Mimar Sinan University, you persistently took exams for a full three years, despite already attending prestigious institutions like Akademi Istanbul and Eskişehir Anadolu University Theater Department for a year each. What is the significance for you of graduating from Mimar Sinan, especially choosing it? Are you usually someone who is determined and accomplishes what you set your mind to?

When I first entered Mimar Sinan University Theater Department, I was 14 years old. I remember falling in love with its courtyard. I had fallen in love with Beşiktaş and the courtyard. I said to myself, "I definitely want to study here!" Besides, the teaching staff there was a significant reason why I wanted to study there so much. I had learned from valuable and crucial instructors in the schools I attended before Mimar Sinan, and that was precious to me. However, Mimar Sinan was my first love, and I am very happy to have graduated from there. Yes, generally, if something is weighing on my mind, I strive to do the best I can to overcome it!🙂

After graduation, you appeared in films like "Kurtlar Vadisi Filistin" and "Devrimden Sonra," as well as TV series like "Aramızda Kalsın," "Çocukluk," and "Siyah Beyaz Aşk." Later, we see that you became more actively involved in theater. What led to your shift away from television acting?

Actually, it wasn't a deliberate decision to step away; the process unfolded that way. I enjoy being on stage and in front of the camera. Most recently, I acted in the film "Benim Babam Bir Kahraman," written and directed by Orçun Benli. It will be released in March 2023.

Currently, you're involved as an actress in plays like "Gloria," "Red Speedo," "Iphigenia," "Yalnızlıkla Nasıl Savaşılır," "Yalnızlık," and "Kadın." Additionally, you're serving as a director in the play "Aşk." What can you tell us when comparing your experiences on stage and behind the scenes? What has your directing experience taught you in your theater journey, and what awareness has it brought?

In addition to acting in the play "Iphigenia," I also took on the role of director. Directing brings a completely different feeling. Trying to create an entire world is an exciting experience. However, when the play is presented to the audience, as a director, you lose control, and you become an audience member yourself. This both excites and stresses me out because, as an actor, you are on stage, and now, when facing the audience, the control is entirely yours. I think it's a matter of surrender. Experiencing this each time is beautiful, and I want to continue directing in the future.


You had the opportunity to work with Anthony Vincent Bova, the owner of the world-renowned Ionica Theatre in Times Square and an actor and executive coach. Could you share a bit about your experience with him? How did the training you received impact your profession and life? Do you incorporate the knowledge gained from these trainings into the ones you provide?

Working with Anthony was both enjoyable and highly instructive. He is undoubtedly an excellent coach and has added a lot to my skills. Of course, I apply many things I learned from him in the trainings I provide.

How did the establishment of Tuğçe Tanış Atölye come about? What services does it offer, and what kind of activities do you organize in your workshop? Is there any age limit for the provided training?

Tuğçe Tanış Atölye was founded in March 2020. Although the idea had been in my mind for a while, I was holding onto it until a close friend encouraged me, and then I immediately took action. We offer acting classes based on the Eric Morris System, with 16-week sessions available at different levels. It is suitable for anyone aged 18 and above who wants to be an actor or gain a new experience.

In your opinion, besides natural talent, what other character traits should someone aspiring to be an actor possess to be successful in this field?

Being hardworking, determined, and passionate is crucial, in my opinion, and of course, having curiosity is essential—being able to be curious about everything, absolutely everything.

What is your most utopian dream in terms of acting or teaching?

I don't think I have a utopian dream, actually :))

Who are the local and foreign actors you consider as idols or are influenced by their style?

I can say Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Marion Cotillard, Marlon Brando, Christoph Waltz, and Elizabeth Moss are actors I find very influential while watching.

What long-term goals have you set both individually and related to Tuğçe Tanış Atölye? What are your aspirations for the future?

I plan to conduct workshops and organize play reading events at the workshop, and I want to produce plays with the students. I also have training plans for myself, and, of course, I'll continue to engage in theater always :)

What is Transformal Breathwork, and how have you integrated it with acting in your teachings?

Transformal Breathwork is a technique that involves connected breathing to ensure continuous oxygen circulation in the body. I encountered this technique in 2013 and underwent sessions for two years before becoming an instructor. It has been very beneficial to my body, mind, and soul, changing my thought patterns and increasing my self-awareness. In my classes, I apply this technique to prepare students for the stage, and together we observe its benefits.

Where can we reach you on social media?

You can follow Tuğçe Tanış Atölye on Instagram: @tugcetanisatolye.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity-Followed Artist: Erdoğan Paksoy

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 29.07.2023 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2023/07/29/unlulerin-takibindeki-ressam-erdogan-paksoy/ Our guest today is a young artist who has achieved numerous successes at a tender age, making a name for himself through participation in various exhibitions and art competitions, earning accolades. Especially with his recent works, he has become a favorite among celebrities – the acclaimed artist, Erdoğan Paksoy. How did you discover your interest in drawing and painting? How did you decide to build your career in this field? My interest in painting has been a constant influence in my life since childhood, serving as a companion on my journey. Creating graffiti on walls and utility boxes with friends, adding drawings and cartoons to my school notebooks – these were the initial steps showcasing my passion for art. However, it never crossed my mind that art would beco

Renklerin İzinde - The exhibition on mythology is waiting for visitors at CKM until January 31st!

   Today, I attended the opening of the "In the Trail of Colors" (Renklerin İzinde) Culture and Art Community's exhibition on the theme of "Mythology," which is the final stop of their trilogy at Istanbul's Caddebostan Cultural Center. This collective group, consisting of people from various professions interested in painting, regularly comes together to create artwork based on a common theme. This time, they shaped their works within the framework of the mythology theme for the third part of the trilogy. The first two legs of the exhibition took place in Bursa and Ayvalık. Despite being a collective project, it pleased me as a colorful person to see almost everyone from diverse professional backgrounds choosing vibrant colors consistently. For those who love mythology and lively colors, I can say it's an exhibition that will leave you with positive feelings as a viewer. :) The exhibition can be visited at Caddebostan Cultural Center, 4th floor, Foyer ar

Ozan Çoban: A successful pianist, driven by the desire to spread the love of art and music, and dedicated to teaching as much as learning!

  *This interview, conducted by Eylül Aşkın, was first published in Turkish on 05.11.2022 on the online art platform sosyeteart.com.  https://sosyeteart.com/index.php/2022/11/05/sanat-ve-muzik-sevgisini-yaymanin-ogrendigince-ogretmenin-derdinde-basarili-bir-piyanist-ozan-coban/ Our guest today is Ozan Çoban, a pianist, composer, music director, and educator with numerous titles. He is also the founder of "Klasik Müzikli Söyleşiler"(Classical Music Talks), a culture and art project with a focus on education. You presented your first recital at the age of 7. How did you discover your interest in music, when did you start receiving education, and how were you able to give a recital at the age of 7? I encountered a piano for the first time during a family visit, and it sparked my curiosity. I started exploring the instrument, and my talent was discovered by Dr. Emel Ramadanoğlu and my first piano teacher, the pianist Esra Ramadanoğlu. At the age of five, I began regular lessons w